25 August 2009

Vegan on a Budget: Gardening and Gleaning

One of the best ways to cut your food bill is to grow your own fruits and vegetables. There are many great resources on the web and at the library about backyard gardening and small space/container gardening. Unfortunately, some of us don't even have a balcony to grow tomatoes on. That's where gleaning comes in. Talk your neighbors, friends, family and co-workers and let them know you'd be happy to help them out with their over abundance of X fruit or vegetable. Anyone who has a garden usually has one crop that they can't keep up with and are more than happy to share the wealth with you. Even if you have your own garden, why not trade some of your extra tomatoes with your neighbor who has an abundance of zucchini? Or maybe you could talk to your friend with that big backyard but no time and work out a deal where you garden on their land and share the bounty? Either way you go, you're saving money and participating in the local community!

Home Gardening links:

You Grow Girl
Anarchy in the Garden, formerly known as Victory Home and Garden
Your Small Kitchen Garden
Small Green Garden
Food Not Lawns Inland Northwest

2 comments:

Geneva said...

I thought you might like this site http://veganyumyum.com/2009/05/perfect-cinnamon-buns/

You are welcome to things from my garden. Pull a weed bit a veggie :)

crystal said...

Leah told me about that blog and I love it! I got those green tomatoes from Moonique and I'm going to use a recipe from Vegan Yum Yum to make fried green tomatoes!

And I may just take you up on your offer - I have my very own 10 year old weed puller here!